Hullbridge Sports FC
Hullbridge Sports FC
Real Football, Great People, Your Local Club
Hullbridge Sports First Team
Tower Hamlets FC

Home | 17 February 2018

Match Report

Hullbridge Sports FC 2-1 Tower Hamlets FC

After two postponements, Sports welcomed Tower Hamlets to Lower Road in the Essex Senior League.

With Rob Hodgson suspended and Dan Okah making his debut, it was a different looking Hullbridge back four. The attack-minded Sports side saw Luke Hornsley returning to the Hullbridge family and lead the line on his second debut for the club. Callum Ibe, Jimmy Cox and Michael Salako also showed the attacking power that Sports had on display.

From kick off both side had chances with Hullbridge winger Callum Ibe’s effort being saved by ex-Hullbridge keeper James Pellin two minutes in to the game. Hamlets forward Wale Odedoyin shot wide of the Sports near post a moment later.

Tower Hamlets eventually took the lead six minutes in to the match as Elias Tackie’s got the wrong side of the Sports defence after a good pass from Luke With. Hamlets had the opportunity after this to extend their lead further, but they couldn’t convert their opportunities.

Tower Hamlets had the greater share of the chances in the first 15 minutes and it took a great tackle from new Hullbridge centre-back Dan Okah to deny Tackie extending the lead further.

On the 30 minute mark, Sports forward Luke Hornsley twisted and turned past two defenders before slotting a good strike past James Pellin and into his right-hand corner. Hullbridge midfielder Matt Tapley could have put Sports in to the lead before half time when his free-kick went just wide of goal four minutes before the interval.

HT -  Hullbridge Sports FC 1–1 Tower Hamlets FC

Tower Hamlet’s came out firing early in the second period as Wale Odedoyin’s drive from a narrow angle called Sports goalkeeper Jamie Merralls into action. Hullbridge responded with a Harry Watkins’ strike which was well-saved by James Pellin.

Tower Hamlets had numerous good opportunities with Tackie always looking dangerous as he fired over from a good cross by Danny Childs. Soon after Odedoyin had two more good chances but the forward couldn’t put them away, which was a bit of a let off for Sports.

On 60 Minutes Callum Ibe’s shot on goal was well saved by Pellin, but the visitors had another good effort from James Ross, but he failed to beat the inform Jamie Merralls.

The turning point came soon after as a Harry Watkins free kick was pushed away by James Pellin, but only as far as Perry Hirst. He managed to lift the ball over the advancing defenders and cross it in to the box. Unfortunately for Luke With, he stretched for a header that went in the wrong direction and looped over his own keeper and in to the back of the net to give Hullbridge a priceless lead on 78 minutes.

On 80 minutes Perry Hirst had another opportunity and then a minute later from a Watkins corner he could have sealed the game as he headed the ball back across the goal, it took a Hamlets player to clear off the line to stop the ball going in at the back post.

The final effort came on 84 minutes as Luke Hornsley crossed, which was met by Michael Salako but he headed over the bar.

FT – Hullbridge Sports FC 2-1 Tower Hamlets FC

Sports can consider themselves lucky as arguably Tower Hamlets had the better chances, but they could look back on this win at the end of the season as a gowned out win.

Sports get a midweek break from the league as they travel to Takeley in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy. This is never a easy place to go and with Takeley being the holders, they are likely to put out a very strong side.


Match Photo's

Match Stats

Starting Line Up

GK Jamie Merralls
DF Charlie Buffin
DF Dan Okah
DF Matt Rose
DF Sam Taylor (46')
MD Matt Tapley
MD Harry Watkins
ST Jimmy Cox (72')
ST Luke Hornsley
ST Callum Ibe (89')
ST Michael Salako


DF Eamon Payne (46')
DF Jason Jones
MD Perry Hirst (72')
MD Sam Kimmence
MD Joe Pattison (89')